MARCH SBCC COMMITTEE MEMO
- Contribute to your club!: The lifeblood of our club is the voluntary work put in by you, our members. Your committee is grateful to everyone who gives their time. However, there is a lot to be done, and here are some other ways you can be involved. Stand for the committee or join one of the sub-committees. Become a qualified referee and/or coach (you don’t have to be a top player to do so). Look at the maintenance list on the noticeboard and take on one of the tasks. Join the weeding or mowing group. Learn how to lay out the lawns and set hoops. Assist at the Croquet Tasmania events we host. Help run hires to outside bodies and schools. If everyone did just a little more, the load would be spread more equitably. Talk to a committee member about how you can contribute.
- Club Championships in GC are nearing completion. Congratulations to Anthony Hodge for winning Division 3 from Rod Chisholm in a very high quality final, and to Rene Hortle winner Steve Andrewartha, with runner up Colette Gallacher. Entries for the AC club championships are open - see the games noticeboard.
- Congratulations to members Callum Hyland who will represent Australia at World AC Championships in England in July, Yvonne Shaw who won ACA Second Women’s Open GC Eights, Jane Hyland (with Graham Hyland from KCC) who were runners up in CT Open AC Doubles, Carol Hanigan as runner-up in the CT GC Women’s Singles and Graham Keating third in the CT GC Men’s Singles.
- Lawn renovation We will be renovating all our lawns from Tuesday 14 March. They will be closed through Monday 20 March inclusive. Our lawns get heavy usage and need this treatment to remain in their usual great condition. The area outside the equipment shed will be paved at the same time.
- Membership numbers: We have just about reached our cap on membership numbers, and have decided to suspend new Taste of Croquet packages for the time being. In fairness to those currently on them, we will process their membership applications soon.
- Social play We wish to reiterate that all members who attend social play sessions must enter the random draw which takes place about 10 minutes before the start. The only exception is if there is a spare lawn and you are not playing the code scheduled. We are an inclusive club, which means that we all will play with and against whoever the draw indicates (though there is some room for mutually agreed modifications). If you want to play with particular people, then arrange a time outside of the social play sessions.
- AGM - The date of our AGM is Saturday 13 May, at 10.30 in the clubhouse. The AGM is followed by a Forum where members can raise issues and ask questions. Please add this to your diary. There will be some committee positions vacant, including Secretary - talk to me if you want to know more.
- Bench If you have a garden bench surplus to requirements, please let us know.
- Welcome to Lynne Hardie as a new member of the club.
Tim Sprod, Secretary, Sandy Bay Croquet Club