1) Lawns To maintain our lawns in good condition, Alan Smith from Renov8 does need to close them from time to time for essential work. All lawns will be closed for the afternoon of Saturday 13 March, and C lawn will close for a major renovation from Saturday 20 March, probably for 5 or 6 weeks. During this time, it may be a little more difficult to fit in all our playing commitments: thank you for your understanding.
2) Thank you for volunteering To all those members who have volunteered their time for events including the CT GC Open Singles (catering, hoop setting, managing, refereeing), staffing Twilight Croquet and the numerous outside hires, maintaining the gardens, grounds and buildings, and many other little tasks, the Committee extends heartfelt thanks.
3) Lawn watering and cutting Recently, someone turned off our lawn water supply at an outside stopcock, resulting in a failure of the overnight watering and, hence, water stress on the lawns. Fortunately, this was discovered in time and our lawns are looking great again. Members are reminded that regular mowing of the lawns is required both to provide a top quality playing surface and to maintain their health.
4) Twilight Croquet Members, Taste of Croquet holders and quite a few people from outside the club have greatly enjoyed participating. Such outreach events spread the word about our great sport and incidentally contribute to our finances.
5) Pennants and club championships To give a more competitive edge to your croquet, the club participates in interclub pennants and our internal Club Championships - all in both AC and GC. The AC pennant is about to finish, and the GC pennant is soon to start. In the GC Club Championships Division 2, Carol Hanigan won from runner up Chris Groves. In GC Division 3, a very hard fought contest came down to hoop 13 on the last game played. Shane Madden took it out, from Di Carington Smith and Liz Madden in third place. Congratulations all. Division 1 and the Rene Hortle event for beginners are still being played. AC Club Championships will be played in April.
6) Working with Vulnerable People Changes to regulations mean that the club needs to keep a register of members who hold this card - which we mainly require when working with school children. Six of your committee have. I would like to hear from any other members who hold the card.
7) AGM The AGM is set for Saturday 8 May from 10.00 am. A new committee will be elected at the meeting, Please consider whether you might be interested in standing. If you want to know what’s involved talk to any committee member.
8) New members Alison Waters, David Waters, Kitty Courtney, Libby McMahon, Guna Ginneliya, Larainne Robertson, Terry Liggins, Virginia Vaughan Williams and Maggie McKerracher have been elected as new members. Welcome to the club! It is great to see membership numbers climbing again, towards the numbers we had a few years ago.
Tim Sprod, Secretary, Sandy Bay Croquet Club